Our Story 1859-2019
Our story actually begins a little before 1859 when Methodist clergy arrived in Colorado with the intent of preaching the Gospel to those who had settled in the area. In 1859 “circuit preachers” officially began serving Golden (a rival city of Denver at that time), Denver, Boulder, Gold Hill, and others. By 1862 the Reverend Charles King was appointed to the Golden/Boulder circuit, and the Rocky Mountain Conference was organized in 1863, of which Golden was a part. By 1880 the Golden Methodist Church had 64 official members, although others were part of that fellowship.
In 1869 the congregation built a permanent church structure which served the community until 1902 when a larger structure was built. This church building was used until 1962 until the present church structure which includes the sanctuary, parlor, chapel, and Fellowship Hall was ready for use. The cornerstone for the current structure was laid in 1957 by the Masons. The education wing was added later.
In 1999 the church community celebrated the 140th anniversary of Golden First UMC under the leadership of Rev. Youngsook Kang. Pastor Kang wrote on that occasion: “Our church was founded with the vision of bringing the Gospel of Christ to Golden, Colorado. Therefore it is important to continue to hold the present to the heritage in the past and to the vision of the future as well.”
Dedicated to outreach, Kang pointed out that Golden First UMC made a practice of opening our facilities to the community for such groups as Boy and Girl Scouts, AA, Jefferson Symphony, and others as a way of serving the people around us. That vision and dedication continues today.